Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Well Done!

My son had his first ever soccer game tonight. I was such a proud mama! Especially because at four years old they can play one of two ways - 1) the pick flower and play in the dirt and run around after the other kids, or 2) they see there's a ball and try to kick it...anywhere.  He was actually that second one! I was so happy that he was trying his hardest to get that ball, to listen to his coach and to be where he should be, all with a huge smile. But at the end of the game he said to me, "I'm sorry I didn't score a goal for you, Mom." Oh, no! I told him, "You do not have to score the goals to play well. You did an amazing job tonight and I am so proud of you."


This situation did reruns through my head last night until I finally realized what it was. This was a reenactment of God and his children. You've read the passages of running the race to get the crown, never giving up. Those are great! But often times that leaves me feeling a little "less than." I see the "kids" who go to the mission field and break through to Christians who have been in darkness millenia. I see the "kids" who become nationally known authors, singers, and preachers, reaching millions of people. I see the "kids" who foster households of children. I see the "kids" who travel the world building organizations to combat hunger and poverty. Then I see me and I say, "I am sorry that I didn't score those goals for you, Father." But last night, I hear His response to me, out of my own mouth!

God does not care if you make those "awesome" accomplishments. That may not be the position he has for you. The soccer team consists of more than just the forwards that score; there are middies, and defense, and goalies! Oh, boy, I bet the goalies of our spiritual lives often feel totally useless!! God wants the whole team and he wants you to play your position with dignity and heart. What you do matters, whether big or small or noticed or not. It matters greatly to the outcome of the "game." So feel great today, friend! Because your heavenly Father is proud of you.

His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ --Matthew 25:21

No comments:

Post a Comment