Monday, December 17, 2012

A Pause for Remembering

As I said on my facebook page, for those of you who follow there, I missed days 3 & 4 of our 12 days and am making up for them today. I had an extremely difficult time emotionally in light of the tragic event that took place in Connecticut on Friday. Even as I write these posts today, I struggle, because I can't help feeling sorrow for those mothers who will never again be able to share these times with their precious child again. I cannot even begin to imagine what that would be like, and I well up with tears at the mere thought.

I have never in my life had an event that hit me so hard as this one did. I was there watching the news through 9-11 and similar tragedies, but never have they made me literally unable to function or emotionally cope for days. Friday, I could do nothing but cry off and on. I believe this is because I am not only a mother now, but a youth/children's ministry leader. I have been a teacher. My love for the children in my life puts me in a place to empathize with these parents and teachers and I can't handle it. I pray with a deep yearning for God's peace and strength in these lives right now.

This morning, there are many mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, grandmothers, grandfathers, aunts and uncles and friends who are laying their loved ones to rest. This will be the second hardest day of their lives next to Friday. Let us not stop remembering them and let us pause throughout our day and remember to lift them up in prayer. Galatians 6:2 says to "bear one another's burdens." I personally do not know any of these people, and you may not either, but that does not mean that we cannot help bear their burden by carrying it to the throne of God in prayer. He loves them and hurts for them as well. Let us pause today and remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment